Tutorial: How to make ribbon gift bows
You can use many different kinds of ribbon and make different variations (check out the original link†for some great ideas). I used 1 inch wide sheer organza ribbon.
1. Wrap your ribbon around a 4 inch embroidery hoop (just the outside piece) about 10-15 times. I ended out wrapping 13 times.
2. The ribbon slides around easily and is a little bit difficult to cut. Measure and mark the center and then cut out triangles on both sides. You may have to do this in layers (first the top half, then the bottom half).
3. Using a small piece of ribbon (or a twist tie, pipe cleaner, piece of wire, etc.), tightly tie around the center. If you are using ribbon, make sure to tie it so that the ends tie in the back where you first started wrapping.
4. Make sure the hoop is open. Slide the tied ribbon off of the embroidery hoop. Notice how in the picture below the bottom is up. You may want to trim those three loose ends now to keep them from sticking out later.
5. Make sure the bottom is down. Start with one side and carefully pull out the innermost loop and twist it away. Keep pulling out the inner loops and twisting in opposite directions. I ended out alternating and pulling about half of the loops to the right and half to the left. Repeat this same process for the other side.
6. At first, the bow might look a little flat. Keep pulling and twisting the loops until you are happy with how the bow looks. You can also hold the bow by the back middle and shake it out to fluff it.